Saturday, July 9, 2011

Garden Progress

When we moved into this house, the people who lived here before us left TONS of garbage for us to deal with. However, they left a few things we were pretty excited about. Four things in fact. Raised beds....
DSC00578
Pay no attention to the dirt and weeds underneath the bed. Our backyard is a nightmare. Anyway, we kept two beds, and I loaned 2 to a friend of mine to try out. I actually only planted one, 'cause I am a bit of a procrastinator. Plus, I really didn't know what I was doing. I planted broccoli and a couple of different kinds of lettuce. The broccoli is actually doing pretty well, considering we started it from seed. The lettuce needs some sun. We've had so much rain, it's kind of stunted its growth.
DSC00577
DSC00576
Here is my sad tomatoes and one good looking pepper plant. Something seems to be eating my tomato leaves, but I can't figure out what it is. I can't find any bugs or caterpillars. I think I'm going to have to get something to sprinkle on the leaves lest they be eaten all gone!
DSC00575
I also planted cucumbers and zucchini, which was a total experiment. I think the cukes will be an epic fail, because the zucchinis are monsters!!!!!
DSC00574
This is a total experiment year for us. I have no idea what I'm doing, and Mike is gone. Next summer, when he is here and we have a little more growing experience under our belts, I totally plan to fill all 4 raised beds. After all...I'll have the resident farming expert back home with me!!!!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

The zukes do well here, I have not even tried cukes for many years, they like hot weather.
Your garden looks great.