Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Nothing to See Here

I found a a couple of new recipes I want to try, as well as one I've been looking for. To hopefully prevent me from losing them or forgetting about them, I'm posting the links here.

Orange Chicken This looks YUMMY! Not healthy, but yummy none-the-less.

These really ARE the best dinner rolls EVAH! I had tried another recipe a week or so ago that claimed to be the best rolls ever, but alas, they were NOT. Try these rolls. I promise, you will not be disappointed!

Homemade Marshmallows. Must try. First, I have to acquire a candy thermometer!

Chicken Taquitos. My family is a lover of all things Mexican.

We're getting ready to attempt to cover a cake with Fondant. Most fondant I've had taste like...well, nasty. Except for the fondant at the Sandals resort in the Bahamas. That was yummy! I'm hoping this Fondant recipe will taste just as yummy!

Marshmallow fondant

Ingredients

* 1/4 cup or less of crisco
16 oz mini marshmallows (Kraft)
1 tsp clear vanilla
1 tsp butter flavor (extract) (I never put this in)
2 tbsp water
2lb bag of powdered sugar (sifted)

Instructions

1. Grease inside of microwaveable safe bowl with Crisco

2. Put marshmallows, flavorings, and water into bowl.

3. Microwave on high for 60 seconds. If not completely melted, stir and microwave at 30 sec intervals.

4. Put powdered sugar into large mixer bowl. (Fit stand mixer with dough hook) I use a wooden spoon. I don’t like how my kitchen aide mixer does.

5. Mix until well incorporated.

6. Prepare work surface with sifted powdered sugar.

7. Turn fondant out onto work surface. Knead fondant into loaf. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap for at least 1 hour before using.

8. To store fondant: Wrap in plastic wrap, and then put into resealable plastic bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible. Fondant will keep very well in fridge for weeks.

Here's another recipe I found on the WTM forums. Sounds yummy, but who can tell? I wanna try it...

Sweet Potato Tortilla Pie
(original recipe is from Vegetarian Planet)

Cube 2-3 sweet potatoes. Toss in olive oil and minced garlic and cumin. Bake for ~20 min at 425 until potatoes are just tender. Let cool. I often have more cubed potato than I need for the pie, but I love sweet potatoes, so I eat them for lunch the next day.

Mix:
1-1/2 cups milk
3 eggs
Salt & pepper

Butter a pie plate. Layer 4-5 corn tortillas in the pie plate, overlapping, to form the "crust". Put the cubed cooked sweet potatoes on top of the tortillas. Sprinkle ~3/4-1 cup cheese over the potatoes. (I use a combo--jack or pepper jack and cheddar.) Pour the milk/egg mixture over the top. It's ok if it runs under the tortilla. Bake at 375 for 40-50 minutes, until the custard is set. Serve with salsa and sour cream.

You can make this basic recipe with just about anything you'd put into a quiche. We like yellow potatoes and diced bacon with cheddar, swiss or goat cheese and no cumin (maybe add a touch of nutmeg). Sometimes I make one of each--A spicy sweet potato version with pepper jack cheese and a milder yellow potato and cheddar version--then we have the leftovers for leftover night or breakfast.

That's it! Soon, I'll share pictures of the rockin' snow storm we had this weekend! All I can say is, snow is a lot more fun when you don't have to shovel it!

No comments: