Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Delish Dinner

I made a DELISH dinner last night. Well, most of it was delish. The chicken wasn't my favorite. The rest of my family LOVED it. Me? I loved the sweet potatoes. Oh my heavens. I could have eaten an entire plate of them. All.by.myself. I will definitely be making them again. BUTTER-PECAN SWEET POTATOES 8 medium sweet potatoes (5 lbs.), or one per person olive oil course salt 2 T. butter, cut into small pieces 2 T. light brown sugar 1/3 c. pecan pieces 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Peel potatoes and halve lengthwise; slice crosswise 1/2 inch thick. On a baking sheet, toss potatoes with olive oil (we brush it on both sides); season with salt. Transfer half the potatoes to a second baking sheet; cook both sheets until potatoes are tender, tossing occasionally, 25-30 minutes. Sprinkle with butter, brown sugar, pecan pieces and cayenne pepper, dividing evenly. Bake until sugar is carmelized and hard, about 10 minutes. Toss gently; serve immediately. Serves 8. **Definitely double the topping. I didn't, and wish I did.** ***I thought 5 potatoes was going to be enough. It wasn't. I'll definitely use 8 next time.*** I didn't take pictures. I will share the blog post where I found the recipe though. She has pretty pictures. You'll also find the Monterey Chicken recipe there. It was too cold to grill last night, and we don't have a George Foreman. So, I pan fried the chicken. Which was probably my mistake. I'll grill it next time for sure. http://kimmccrary.blogspot.com/2010/05/perfect-day.html Tonights dinner is a real family pleaser as well. Buffalo Chicken Macaroni and Cheese. Oh my. Is it dinner time yet???

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My great aunt used to make something like that...she was from Tennessee.yum!

Holly S. said...

You can do chicken under the broiler and it's pretty much the same as grilled. That would work on your cold Alaskan days.